Developing the youth is an important duty of the community and youth leaders. Is important for community and youth leaders who work with the youth to be trained in addressing certain problems that they may encounter in the teenagers that they work with.
– Substance use
– Disorders in which psychosis may occur
– Disruptive behavior disorders
– Eating Disorders
– Information about common mental health concerns
– How to recognize signs of mental health and symptom abuse
– How to use a 5-step action plan to help a youth who may be facing a mental health problem or crisis, such as suicide
Youth Counseling I
Credit hours - 1
The Youth Counseling course is designed to teach our students how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addictions challenge or is in crisis. Youth Mental Health First Aid is primarily designed for adults who regularly interact with young people. The course introduces common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development, and teaches a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations. Topics covered include anxiety, depression, substance use, disorders in which psychosis may occur, disruptive behavior disorders (including AD/HD), and eating disorders.